Friday, April 17, 2009

Faith's Resting Place

As I was composing the final paragraph of my last Colossians essays, the grand old hymn, My Faith Has Found a Resting Place, popped into my mind as a timely revelation. This heavenly message flooded my mind as I was writing the following paragraph (slightly modified here).
“Since Paul’s time, the church that Christ established has debated, fought, divided, contorted, conformed, deformed, reformed, restored, replicated and apostatized, until one can scarcely find the true church. I spent years in legalism with those who are certain that they are right and everyone else is wrong. My brethren used to preach a sermon titled, ‘The Way That’s Right and Can’t Be Wrong.’ I also spent years in liberalism with a church that has the grandest slogan I have ever heard: ‘The church where salvation makes you a member.’ I observed and learned but I didn’t subscribe to their progressive theology. People came and went, giving more thought to their church connection than to their Christ connection. When I asked a leader about the church’s failure to ground new members in the faith he replied, ‘The church is open ended; we have to make room for people with different views.’ Different views in matters of opinion to be sure, but certainly not in matters of faith! These experiences helped me to see that my salvation does not depend on belonging to either the right church or the left church but belonging to Christ. My brothers and sisters are not decided by a church membership buy a Christ relationship. Those who have submitted to Christ as their Savior and Lord and are following Him to the best of their ability are my brothers and sisters. With this understanding, my faith found a resting place in Christ alone.”

My Faith has Found A Resting Place,
Not in device or creed;
I trust the ever living One,
His wounds for me shall plead.

Refrain

I need no other argument,
I need no other plea,
It is enough that Jesus died,
And that He died for me.

Refrain

Enough for me that Jesus saves,
This ends my fear and doubt;
A sinful soul I come to Him,
He’ll never cast me out.

Refrain

My heart is leaning on the Word,
The living Word of God,
Salvation by my Savior’s Name,
Salvation through His blood.

Refrain

My great Physician heals the sick,
The lost He came to save;
For me His precious blood He shed,
For me His life He gave.

Refrain ---Eliza E. Hewitt in Songs of Joy and Glad­ness, 1891

No comments: