Friday, May 15, 2009

Sanctification

“Sanctification” is used of (a) a separation to God, (b) the course of life befitting those so separated... Sanctification is that relationship with God into which men enter by faith, and to which their sole title is the death of Christ... Sanctification is also used in the NT of the separation of the believer from evil things and ways. This sanctification is God’s will for the believer... and His purpose in calling him by the Gospel;... it must be learned from God as He teaches it by His Word... and it must be perused by the believer earnestly... For the holy character is not vicarious, i.e., it cannot be transferred or imputed, it is an individual possession, built up, built up, little by little, as the result of obedience to the Word of God, and of following the example of Christ... in the power of the Holy Spirit...The Holy Spirit is the Agent in sanctification...” W. E. Vine, Expository Dictionary

Sanctification is both a Christian experience and a possession—a verb as well as a noun, which has neither been properly understood nor appropriated by contemporary Christians. Does it happen when one is justified? Does it happen as a subsequent experience, a “second work of grace”? Or is it a gradual process, “built up, little by little, as the result of obedience to the Word of God, and of following the example of Chris?”

Christians once debated these views, but there is little debate now because there is little interest. The purpose of this essay is to reintroduce the subject of sanctification and apply it to our lives as we engage in a spiritual restoration.

Prior to James Arminius (1560-1609) and John Wesley (1703-1791), sanctification was thought to be a gradual life-time experience. With these two theologians came the doctrine of entire sanctification or “Christian perfection.” With the fading of sanctification theology and the churches that held it, the former view returned. But all of this seems irrelevant now because churches of different views `have abandoned not only their view of sanctification but also the infallibility and inspiration of the Bible. The best I can do is to set forth the simple teaching of the Word and ask my readers to accept it by faith. I have no interest in debating the subject because

I need no other argument,
I need no other plea,
It is enough that Jesus died,
And that He died for me
.
I am convinced that if we would just leave our opinions out of this process and take Paul’s word at face value, we would have an adequate understanding of sanctification. Here is what Paul says: “Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved completely, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is He who called you and He also will bring it to pass” (I Thes. 5:23, 24). If God will bring it to pass, why don’t we let Him and quit speculating about it? We’re not trying to impress anyone with how holy we are; we are grateful to God that He has sanctified us and made us holy. If you are a Christian, this is who you are; if you are not a Christian, salvation will make you a member of the Lord’s church and endow you with these heavenly blessings.

I suspect some of my readers will ask, “Why didn’t you tell us what people must do to be saved?” I reply that if God will bring it to pass we must not get in His way by trying to do it ourselves. I chose to believe that Jesus is who He says He is, to turn away from my sins by dying to them, and by being buried in water and raised to a new life in Christ (Rom. 6:3, 4).

Enough for me that Jesus saves,
This ends my fear and doubt;
A sinful soul I came to Him,
He’ll never cast me out.

No one needs to ask what to do to be justified before God or to be sanctified by the Holy Spirit.; the work has already been done.

Let the water and the blood, From Thy wounded side which flowed, Be of sin the double cure; Saved from wrath and make me pure.

The “double cure” is justification and sanctifications. Justification is being saved from wrath and sanctification is being made pure.

“Nothing in my hand I bring, simply to Thy cross I cling.”

No comments: