Friday, November 28, 2008

All for the Sake of Christ

“To you it has been granted for Christ’s sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake” (Phil. 1:29).

Philippians 1:12-30


Paul was in prison for preaching Christ when he wrote this letter to the Philippian church. He was a bond-servant of Jesus, owned and directed by Him; he could not have done otherwise. The matter was settled with him. “Christ will be honored in my body,” he says, “whether by life or by death.” In this way he could “advance the gospel,” which was all that mattered to him.

1. For the sake of Christ we must endure circumstances (2-14). “My circumstances have turned out for the greater progress of the gospel, so that my imprisonment in the cause of Christ has become well known…and that most of the brethren, trusting in the Lord because of my imprisonment, have far more courage to speak the word of God without fear.” Endure circumstances.

2. For the sake of Christ we must have pure motives (15-18). “Some, to be sure, are preaching Christ from envy and strife, but some also from good will; the latter do it out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel; the former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition, rather than from pure motives, thinking to cause me distress in my imprisonment. What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice…” Have pure motives.

3. For the sake of Christ we must be bold (19-21). “For I know this shall turn out for my deliverance through your prayers and the Spirit of Jesus Christ according to my earnest expectation and hope, that I shall not be put to shame in anything, but that with all boldness, Christ shall even now, as always, be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.. Be bold, live or die.

4. For the sake of Christ we must “live Christ” (22-26) “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if it I am to live on in the flesh, that will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. I am hard- pressed from both directions. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. Convinced of this, I know that I shall remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again.” Live the Christ life.

5. For the sake of Christ we must conduct ourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel (27-30). “Conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come to see you or remain absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel… for to you it has been granted for Christ’s sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake.” Maintain Christ -like conduct.

When I was young I lived for my sake. When I became a Christian I lived for our sake (our church, our theology, our traditions and taboos). Now that I am older, my passion is to live for Christ’s sake. My circumstances, motives, attitudes, life and conduct have no meaning unless they are experienced “for Christ’s sake.” I pray that all who read this article will learn sooner and submit to Christ more completely that I did. Considering what He has done for you, isn’t it reasonable that He should ask this of you—for His sake?
_________________

Note: I made a mistake in numbering my essays; this one should have gone our before last week’s questions.

No comments: